Father’s Day meal planning is made easy with this Spaghetti and Meatless Meatballs recipe. A semi-homemade Pantry Red Sauce is so simple, children of all ages can hop in the kitchen to make dinner for dad this weekend.
The red sauce is a delightful alternative to the store-bought jarred sauce, and it uses many ingredients already found in most kitchen cupboards. Aside from Father’s Day, this is a great meal for meatless Monday or any night of the week.
- 1 package (16 ounces) meatless ground (Beyond Meat or Impossible Burger)
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup minced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley (or 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (San Marzano style preferred)
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (San Marzano style preferred)
- 1 12-ounce jar fire-roasted red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup fresh basil, cut into ribbons, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Parmesan cheese (optional) for serving
- 1 12-ounce package dried pasta; spaghetti or linguine works well
- Fresh parmesan, shredded (optional) for garnish
For the meatballs:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Add first 8 ingredients to a large bowl and mix until well combined.
Roll into golf ball-sized meatballs and place on a large baking sheet drizzled with 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil. Should yield 16 to 18 meatballs.
Place in the oven and roast for 12 minutes, until the meatballs start to form a crispy crust. Carefully remove from the oven, and add meatballs into red sauce to cook for another 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve atop your favorite prepared pasta.
For the red sauce:
Heat a dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Once heated, add 3 tablespoons olive oil.
Add diced onion to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes, careful not to burn.
To the pot, add crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes, and reduce heat to medium.
Drain liquid from the red bell peppers, and slice into thin strips. Add to the pot with the other ingredients, along with 2 tablespoons tomato paste, fresh basil, dried parsley, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes (if using).
Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and let cook for about 15 minutes.
Carefully pour ingredients into the jar of a blender and pulse until mostly smooth. Alternatively, use an immersion blender and pulse in the pot, until sauce becomes the desired consistency.
Add meatless meatballs to the sauce at this point, or continue cooking until sauce has thickened, at least 10 more minutes.
While sauce is cooking, prepare pasta according to package directions.
Serve sauce and meatballs on a bed of prepared sauce. Garnish with shredded parmesan and ribbons of fresh basil, as desired.
Bring leftover sauce to room temperature and store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.